Tuesday 3 February 2009

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Needs Your Help!

I have to say that I've always admired those athletes you see on TV competing in triathlons... and thought they were mad whilst sat on my backside at home! However, every time someone does one for charity I'm one of the first to acknowledge and promote their cause because they are completing two marvellous tasks in one - a .93 mile swim, 27.25 mile bike ride and 6.2 mile run plus rasing money for excellent causes and there is no better cause than the battle against blood cancer.

It is predicted that approximately 44,270 will develop leukemia in the United States alone in 2009, and that is not to mention the existing 231,461 sufferers (as from the start of 2008) or those with other blood cancers. A very dear friend of mine battled Hodgkins Lymphoma in her mid-20s and was lucky enough to survive. She is now 30 and still growing strong thanks to the brilliant care she received and the current medical treatments but the cause is close to my heart as a result.

I saw a note from one of my friends on Facebook yesterday promoting what her sister, Courtney Montague is looking to do in order to raise money and I admire her in many ways as a result of it. She is going to complete the Mooseman Triathlon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society this year but needs at least $3000 to participate. If you do have a few spare dollars, pounds or Euros then please think of donating here. I did and know I'm helping Courtney to do this amazing event for a worthy cause.

As for why Courtney is doing what she's doing, the site puts it best:

As a member of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training, I am raising funds to help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives. I am completing this event in honor of all individuals who are battling blood cancers. These people are the real heroes on our team, and we need your support to cross the ultimate finish line - a cure!

If you do want to read more or make a donation, no matter how large or small, then please check out the info HERE!

No comments:

Google