Monday 11 August 2008

By Popular Demand: A Little More About Drug Rehab & Treatment

You may remember that I posted about substance abuse a couple of weeks ago as a result of a story I saw about Amy Winehouse and her latest mental and physical breakdown as a result of her ongoing problems. I had an amazing reaction to that post with several people emailing me asking a few questions about what I'd written. Now, I don't profess to be an expert on the subject because I'm not. I only know what one of my friends has told me and a little from my intial research but I'm going to post a little more about it because it seemed to help people. I firmly believe that information about drug rehab can help people. Even if it only inspires one person to get help then it's better than staying silent.

For starters, it is not well known that any good drug rehab center actually offers a whole host of solutions to a variety of problems. For example, the Cliffside Malibu drug rehab centre actually treats drug addiction, alcoholism, depression, self harm, eating disorders and various other problems that run along the same lines. Many do not seem to realise that drugs and alcohol are not the only conditions that need treating if an individual is to lead a healthy and happy life. It goes way beyond drug treatment. It is in fact effectively life treatment because people can begin to live their lives to the full afterwards, and drugs are not the only things that can prevent people doing that in the first place.

To get the full benefit of rehab you do have to live in for the duration of your treatment because counsellors can only do so much if you are not completely removed from an environment that contributed to your addiction or mental state in the first place. For eample, if you are addicted to cocaine then you may do well in the day but lapse during the evening when you are with your cocaine addicted friends.

Many good drug rehab centres do offer tailored treatment to suit all of your wants and needs so there is effectivel nothing to be scared of. Of course you have to want the help for it to be of benefit to you, but you can find the best possible combination fo you by speaking to qualifed individuals. For example, detoxing is a must if you have a drug problem but then you may find that group therapy works better than individual therapy because you can relate to several people and draw on their support. You may find that alternative medicines improve your state of mind and work better than traditional medications that make your head fuzzy. Everyone is different, but before you can get help you need to recognise the fact that you need it and also want it.

1 comment:

gaither756 said...

I agree, education on any level is going to bring some sort of awareness to the individual. I spend a good part of my day each day teaching others about alcoholism . Education is key.

Google